All in the Family Episode List
by Vince Waldron
When All in the Family frightened prime time out of its lingering post-
adolescence in January 1971, it heralded a bold new era of sophistication,
intelligence, and sensitivity. By breaking down every established notion
of how TV comedy should be written, performed, edited, and scored, the
series revolutionized the creative community's attitude toward the medium.
By changing the way television looked, All in the Family changed forever
the way we look at television.
1. MEET THE BUNKERS January 12, 1971
A surprise anniversary party is the setting for the latest high-decibel
debate between Archie Bunker and his son-in-law, Michael Stivic.
2. WRITING THE PRESIDENT January 19, 1971
Mike writes a letter to the White House protesting the sorry state of the
Union, prompting Archie to take pen in hand for his own rebuttal.
3. ARCHIE'S ACHING BACK January 26, 1971
Archie is convinced he'll collect a larger settlement from a petty traffic
accident if a Jewish lawyer handles the case.
4. ARCHIE GIVES BLOOD February 2, 1971
Archie refuses to donate blood because he's afraid his vital fluids might
get mixed in with those of a different race.
5. JUDGING BOOKS BY COVERS February 9, 1971
Archie scorns one of Mike's effeminate friends, unaware that one of his
toughest beer-drinking buddies is himself a well-adjusted gay.
6. GLORIA IS PREGNANT February 16, 1971
Archie's dreams of becoming a grandfather are dashed when Gloria suffers a
7. NOW THAT YOU KNOW THE WAY, LET'S BE STRANGERS February 23, 1971
Mike invites one of his hippie friends to spend the night in the Bunkers'
living room, despite Archie's strenuous objections.
8. LIONEL MOVES INTO THE NEIGHBORHOOD March 2, 1971
Archie does his best to keep a black family from buying the house next
door, only to discover that the prospective buyers are Lionel's parents.
9. EDITH HAS JURY DUTY March 9, 1971
Edith abandons the kitchen for the courtroom when she is chosen for jury
duty, leaving Archie to fend for himself.
10. ARCHIE IS WORRIED ABOUT HIS JOB March 16, 1971
No one in the family gets any sleep when Archie spends the night worrying
that he might lose his job.
11. GLORIA DISCOVERS WOMEN'S LIB March 23, 1971
Gloria leaves the house in a rage when Mike refuses to recognize her as an
equal partner in her marriage.
12. SUCCESS STORY March 30, 1971
Archie reevaluates his definition of success after he meets an old army
buddy who's become wealthy in the used-car trade.
13. THE FIRST AND LAST SUPPER April 6, 1971
The Jeffersons arrive for dinner at the Bunkers' -- minus husband George,
who refuses to socialize with his white neighbors.
14. THE SAGA OF COUSIN OSCAR September 18, 1971
Archie is incensed when his sponging cousin Oscar has the nerve to drop
dead in the upstairs bedroom.
15. GLORIA POSES IN THE NUDE September 25, 1971
Mike has second thoughts after he agrees to let Gloria pose as a nude
model for one of his artist friends.
16. ARCHIE IN THE LOCK-UP October 2, 1971
Archie suffers the ultimate indignity when he's arrested along with a
group of radicals at a protest rally.
17. EDITH WRITES A SONG October 9, 1971
A pair of burglars holds the family at bay with Archie's own pistol.
18. FLASHBACK: MIKE MEETS ARCHIE October 16, 1971
On the Stivic's first wedding anniversary, the family recalls the day
Archie and Michael met.
19. THE ELECTION STORY October 30, 1971
Mike and Gloria campaign for the liberal candidate in a local election,
while Archie places himself in the opposing camp.
20. EDITH'S ACCIDENT November 6, 1971
A priest pays a call to reward Edith's honesty for leaving a note on his
car after she accidentally dents it with a large can of cling peaches.
21. THE BLOCKBUSTER November 13, 1971
An unscrupulous black real estate salesman tempts Archie to sell his house
to a black family at an inflated profit.
22. MIKE'S PROBLEM November 20, 1971
Gloria is upset when Mike's nervousness over his grades causes him to
become temporarily impotent.
23. THE INSURANCE IS CANCELED November 27, 1971
Archie lays off a Puerto Rican worker during a cutback at the dock; and
his homeowner's policy is canceled when his neighborhood is redlined as a
24. THE MAN IN THE STREET December 4, 1971
Archie Bunker becomes the voice of the American working man when his
man-on-the-street interview is scheduled to appear on Walter Cronkite's
25. COUSIN MAUDE'S VISIT Decembwer 11, 1971
Edith's feisty cousin, Maude, drops in for a visit during a flu epidemic
at the Bunker House.
26. CHRISTMAS DAY AT THE BUNKERS December 18, 1971
Archie casts a pall on the family's yuletide spirits when he complains
that he was passied over for this year's Christmas bonus.
27. THE ELEVATOR STORY January 1, 1972
Archie gets caught in an elevator, along with a pregnant Puerto Rican and
her husband, an aging hippie, and an erudite black businessman.
28. EDITH'S PROBLEM January 8, 1972
Edith is suddenly moody and irritable with the approach of menopause.
29. ARCHIE AND THE FBI January 15, 1972
Archie's paranoia during a mysterious government investigation drives him
to betray a long-standing friendship.
30. MIKE'S MYSTERIOUS SON January 22, 1972
An old girlfriend of Mike's suddenly arrives at the Bunkers' with a
four-year-old boy that she claims is his son.
31. ARCHIE SEES A MUGGING January 29, 1972
Archie refuses to get involved with police, even though he's the only
witness to a neighborhood mugging.
32. ARCHIE AND EDITH ALONE February 5, 1972
The Bunkers are on their own for eight days after Mike and Gloria go off
to spend a week at a commune.
33. EDITH GETS A MINK February 12, 1972
Archie is too proud to let Edith accept a mink stole from her cousin
Amelia, until he sees a chance to make a three-hundred-dollar profit.
34. SAMMY'S VISIT February 19, 1972
Sammy Davis, Jr., encounters Archie Bunker in all his glory when the star
ventures out to Queens to retrieve a briefcase he left in Munson's
35. EDITH THE JUDGE February 26, 1972
Edith arbitrates a dispute between Archie and the irate proprietor of a
36. ARCHIE IS JEALOUS March 4, 1972
Archie is disturbed to discover Edith once spent an entire weekend with an
37. MAUDE March 11, 1972
The Bunkers attend the wedding of cousin Maude's daughter, Carol. [This
episode was the pilot for "Maude."]
38. ARCHIE AND THE EDITORIAL September 16, 1972
After he rails against gun control in a TV editorial, Archie meets his two
biggest supporters -- a pair of stickup artists who rob him at gunpoint.
39. ARCHIE'S FRAUD September 23, 1972
Archie is audited by the IRS after he fails to report income he made
driving Munson's taxicab.
40. THE THREAT September 30, 1972
Archie can barely contain himself when the attractive young wife of an old
army buddy spends an eventful night in the Bunker household.
41. GLORIA AND THE RIDDLE October 7, 1972
Gloria tests Mike and Archie's male chauvinism with a riddle that stumps
the men but is easily answered by Edith.
42. LIONEL STEPS OUT October 14, 1972
Archie is aghast to find out that his visiting niece plans to go out
dancing with Lionel Jefferson.
43. EDITH FLIPS HER WIG October 21, 1972
Edith is worried she may be a kleptomaniac after she absent-mindedly takes
a wig from a department store.
44. THE BUNKERS AND THE SWINGERS October 28, 1972
Edith unwillingly invites a pair of wife-swapping swingers to dinner when
she responds to a newspaper ad for pen pals.
45. MIKE COMES INTO MONEY November 4, 1972
Mike sparks the latest family feud when he donates two hundred dollars to
George McGovern's presidential campaign instead of paying Archie for room
46. FLASHBACK: MIKE AND GLORIA'S WEDDING (PART 1) November 11, 1972
On the Stivics' second anniversary, the family recalls the comedy of
errors that transpired on their wedding day.
47. FLASHBACK: MIKE AND GLORIA'S WEDDING (PART 2) November 18, 1972
The Stivics' wedding is jeopardized when Michael's uncle insists, over
Archie's virulent objections, that the marriage be performed by a Catholic
48. MIKE'S APPENDIX December 2, 1972
Gloria is outraged when Mike insists that a male doctor perform his
49. EDITH'S WINNING TICKET December 9, 1972
Archie schemes to bilk the Jeffersons out of their winnings from a lottery
ticket that Edith bought for Louise.
50. ARCHIE AND THE BOWLING TEAM December 16, 1972
Archie loses his spot on a top bowling team to a black player.
51. THE LOCKET December 23, 1972
Archie tries to cheat the insurance company out of three hundred dollars
after Edith misplaces her family heir-loom locket.
52. ARCHIE IN THE HOSPITAL January 6, 1973
Archie befriends the other patient in his semiprivate hospital room,
unaware that he's black.
53. OH SAY CAN YOU SEE January 20, 1973
An old school chum tries to convince Archie that his fears of growing old
are all in his mind.
54. ARCHIE GOES TOO FAR January 27, 1973
Edith and Gloria end the latest family brawl when they storm out of the
house to spend the night on their own.
55. CLASS REUNION February 10, 1973
Archie refuses to tag along to Edith's thirtieth high school reunion --
until he finds out that one of her old beaus will be attending.
56. HOT WATCH February 17, 1973
Archie buys an expensive watch of dubious pedigree and has to find a
jeweler who'll fix it with no questions asked.
57. ARCHIE IS BRANDED February 24, 1973
Archie wakes up to find a swastika painted on his front door.
58. EVERYBODY TELLS THE TRUTH March 3, 1973
It's Rashomon Bunker-style when the family recounts vastly different
versions of the same disastrous encounter with a pair of handymen in the
59. ARCHIE LEARNS HIS LESSON March 10, 1973
Archie attends night-school classes to qualify for a high school diploma.
60. GLORIA, THE VICTIM March 17, 1973
After an attempted sexual assault, Gloria turns to the family for guidance
as she suffers through the legal aftermath of reporting the crime.
61. THE BATTLE OF THE MONTH March 24, 1973
In a foul mood, Gloria lambasts Edith for her constant acquiescence to
62. WE'RE HAVING A HEAT WAVE September 15, 1973
Henry Jefferson joins Archie in trying to prevent a Hispanic family from
moving into the neighborhood.
63. WE'RE STILL HAVING A HEAT WAVE September 22, 1973
As the Lorenzos settle in, Archie grows jealous of Edith's friendship with
64. EDITH FINDS AN OLD MAN September 29, 1973
Edith befriends a lonely old man, though Archie is less than thrilled to
have a constant reminder of his own advancing years hanging around the
65. ARCHIE AND THE KISS October 6, 1973
Gloria brings home a Rodin replica for the living room, but the erotic
sculpture makes Archie cringe.
66. ARCHIE THE GAMBLER October 13, 1973
Edith is deeply disturbed to find out Archie's been playing the horses
after he promiesed never to gamble again.
67. HENRY'S FAREWELL October 20, 1973
Archie finally meets George Jefferson at Henry's going-away party.
68. ARCHIE AND THE COMPUTER October 27, 1973
Edith receives a small fortune in quarters as a result of a computer
error, while another computer informs Archie that he's been officially
69. THE GAMES BUNKERS PLAY November 3, 1973
Mike childishly refuses to accept criticism during an informal
70. EDITH'S CONVERSION November 10, 1973
Archie thinks Irene Lorenzo is trying to convert Edith to Catholicism.
71. ARCHIE IN THE CELLAR November 17, 1973
Locked in his cellar with a bottle of vodka, Archie spends a long night
contemplating his life through the haze of a drunken stupor.
72. BLACK IS THE COLOR OF MY TRUE LOVE'S WIG November 24, 1973
Gloria is insulted when Michael's ardor is renewed after she dons a cheap
73. SECOND HONEYMOON December 1, 1973
Archie and Edith rekindle their romance during a second honeymoon in
74. THE TAXI CAPER December 8, 1973
An influential politician attempts to dissuade Archie from pressing
charges against his son after the boy robs Archie in Munson's cab.
75. ARCHIE IS CURSED December 15, 1973
Irene challenges Archie to a pool match, but he begs off, complaining of a
76. EDITH'S CHRISTMAS STORY December 22, 1973
During the Christmas holidays, Edith tries to hide the fact that she may
have breast cancer.
77. MIKE AND GLORIA MIX IT UP January 5, 1974
The Stivics' love life reaches another impasses when Michael is put off by
Gloria's romantic aggressiveness.
78. ARCHIE FEELS LEFT OUT January 12, 1974
Archie refuses to attend his own birthday party.
79. ET TU, ARCHIE January 26, 1974
Archie sabotages an old friend's efforts to land a job at the loading dock
because he's afraid the man might be in line for his position.
80. GLORIA'S BOYFRIEND February 2, 1974
Archie's misconceptions run amok when Gloria befriends the retarded box
boy from the local market.
81. LIONEL'S ENGAGEMENT February 9, 1974
Archie squares off with George Jefferson's mother when he and Edith attend
Lionel's engagement party.
82. ARCHIE EATS AND RUNS February 16, 1974
The Bunkers are in a panic after Archie eats a stew made from mushrooms
that might have been contaminated.
83. GLORIA SINGS THE BLUES March 2, 1974
Gloria is bewildered after she falls temporarily out of life with Michael,
until she discovers her mother went through the same thing with Archie.
84. PAY THE TWENTY DOLLARS March 9, 1974
Archie unwittingly passes George Jefferson a counterfeit twenty-dollar
bill and sets off a string of hilarious exchanges as the family attempts
to rectify the error.
85. MIKE'S GRADUATION March 16, 1974
Archie's spirits soar on Mike's graduation day, until he discovers that
his meathead son-in-law has accepted a fellowship and won't be moving out
for another year.
86. THE BUNKERS AND INFLATION September 14, 1974
The Bunkers' breadwinner tries to avoid breaking the news that his
union has called a strike.
87. THE BUNKERS AND INFLATION -- ARCHIE UNDERFOOT September 21, 1974
Tempers flare in the Bunker household when Archie finds himself with
nothing to do but sit around the house.
88. THE BUNKERS AND INFLATION -- EDITH THE JOB HUNTER September 28, 1974
When strike negotiations bog down, Archie grudgingly trades places with
Edith and allows her to take a job at Jefferson's dry cleaners.
89. THE BUNKERS AND INFLATION -- ARCHIE'S RAISE October 5, 1974
Archie's union settles the strike, but under terms that effectively leave
him worse off than he was before the walkout.
90. LIONEL THE LIVE-IN October 12, 1974
Lionel arrives to spend a few days with the Bunkers after a big blowup
with his father.
91. ARCHIE'S HELPING HAND October 19, 1974
The rising tide of feminism confronts Archie on all sides when Edith
joins a women's group and Irene lands a job alongside him on the loading
92. GLORIA'S SHOCK October 26, 1974
Gloria is shocked when Mike announces that he doesn't plan on having
93. WHERE'S ARCHIE? (PART 1) November 2, 1974
Edith holds her first Tupperware party under a cloud of worry when
Archie disappears on his way to a union convention in Buffalo.
94. ARCHIE IS MISSING (PART 2) November 9, 1974
With no word from Archie after twenty-four hours, the family faces the
possibility that he might've run off with another woman.
95. THE LONGEST KISS (PART 3) November 16, 1974
Archie returns from his sorry adventure -- he got sidetracked to a
podiatrists' convention in Rochester -- to find his friends and family
celebrating his return with kissing contests, Hula Hoops, and ballroom
96. ARCHIE AND THE MIRACLE November 23, 1974
After an accident on the loading dock brings Archie within inches of his
life, he suddenly becomes a devout -- if somewhat hypocritical --
97. GEORGE AND ARCHIE MAKE A DEAL November 30, 1974
George Jefferson seeks Archie's help when he runs for local political
98. ARCHIE'S CONTRACT December 7, 1974
Irene and the Jeffersons bail the Bunkers out after Archie buys two
thousand dollars' worth of aluminum siding from a fast-talking salesman.
99. MIKE'S FRIEND December 14, 1974
Gloria is made to feel like an intellectual outcast when she spends the
evening with Mike and one of his graduate-school friends.
100. THE BEST OF ALL IN THE FAMILY (ONE HOUR) December 21, 1974
Henry Fonda hosts an hour-long retrospective of high points from the
show's first four years.
101. PRISONER IN THE HOUSE January 4, 1975
A plumber's assistant causes Archie agony when he finds out the worker
is a convict on a work-release program from Sing Sing.
102. THE JEFFERSONS MOVE UP January 11, 1975
The Bunkers bid a fond farewell to the Jeffersons when their neighbors
abandon Queens for the nouveau-riche life in a Manhattan high rise.
[This episode was the pilot for The Jefffersons.]
103. ALL'S FAIR January 18, 1975
Gloria gives Edith a lesson in marriage assertiveness.
104. AMELIA'S DIVORCE January 25, 1975
Edith is surprised to discover that her cousin Amelia's ideal marriage
is rotten to the core.
105. EVERYBODY DOES IT February 8, 1975
Archie steals a box of nails from work and finds himself at the center
of a household debate on morality.
106. ARCHIE AND THE QUIZ February 15, 1975
Archie feels the weight of his own mortality after a magazine quiz on
life expectancy gives him another seven years -- tops.
107. EDITH'S FRIEND February 22, 1975
Edith is reunited with her childhood sweetheart when she returns to her
hometown for a wedding.
108. NO SMOKING March 1, 1975
The Bunker house is locked in a battle of wills after Mike vows he can go
without food longer than Archie can abstain from smoking.
109. MIKE MAKES HIS MOVE March 8, 1975
After a fruitless search for new lodgings, Mike and Gloria agree to rent
George Jefferson's old house -- even though it means living next door to
110. THE VERY MOVING DAY September 8, 1975
Gloria is nervous about announcing her unexpected pregnancy because of
Mike's stubborn attitude toward overpopulation.
111. ALONE AT LAST September 15, 1975
Teary farewells turn into fireworks when Mike hits Archie with five years
of repressed rage, only to discover that he and Gloria can't move out for
112. ARCHIE THE DONOR Septemeber 22, 1975
Archie tries to impress his boss by making the maximum contribution to his
favorite charity and unwittingly donates his body to medical science.
113. ARCHIE THE HERO September 29, 1975
Archie gets a rude shock when the tall, classy dame whose life he saved
in a taxicab turns out to be a man.
114. MIKE'S PAINS October 6, 1975
Mike has second thoughts about natural childbirth when he gets queasy at
the prospect of standing in the delivery room during Gloria's labor.
115. CHAIN LETTER October 20, 1975
Archie's refusal to participate in a chain letter triggers a string of
116. MIKE FACES LIFE October 27, 1975
Mike becomes the sole support of a growing family when Gloria loses her
job because of her pregnancy.
117. EDITH BREAKS OUT November 3, 1975
Archie feels abandoned after Edith begins to volunteer part-time at the
Sunshine Home for the Elderly.
118. GRANDPA BLUES November 10, 1975
Archie has difficulty keeping his blood pressure down for a company
physical after the family launches into a heavy debate over the baby's
119. GLORIA SUSPECTS MIKE November 17, 1975
Gloria suspects hanky-panky when she meets the beautiful blonde Mike's
been tutoring after school hours.
120. THE LITTLE ATHEIST November 24, 1975
Thanksgiving dinner becomes a family battleground when Archie discovers
that Mike and Gloria don't want to impose the family's religious beliefs
on their baby.
121. ARCHIE'S CIVIL RIGHTS December 1, 1975
Archie gets a lesson in civil liberties when he's arrested for using
outlawed tear gas to protect himself against a mugger.
122. GLORIA IS NERVOUS December 8, 1975
The baby is already nine days overdue, and the stress is turning Mike
and Gloria into nervous wrecks.
123. BIRTH OF THE BABY (PART 1) December 15, 1975
Stuck in a phone booth in an Italian restaurant, Gloria goes into labor
while Archie is busy rehearsing for his lodge's minstrel show.
124. BIRTH OF THE BABY (PART 2) December 22, 1975
Archie arrives at the hospital direct from his minstrel show -- in
blackface -- just in time for Gloria's blessed event.
125. NEW YEAR'S WEDDING January 5, 1976
The Stivics have a spat when Michael volunteers their living room for
a wedding ceremony without even consulting Gloria.
126. ARCHIE THE BABY-SITTER January 12, 1976
Archie's buddies form a lullaby quartet when Grandpa Bunker baby-sits Joey
on his poker night.
127. ARCHIE FINDS A FRIEND January 26, 1976
Archie sees a chance to get rich quick when he befriends an old watchmaker
who's got a surefire invention.
128. MIKE'S MOVE February 2, 1976
Mikes's integrity is put to the test when he loses a teaching position
to an equally qualified black candidate.
129. ARCHIE'S WEIGHTY PROBLEM February 9, 1976
Energetic Justin Quiqley inspires Archie to stick with the strict diet his
doctor has recommended.
130. LOVE BY APPOINTMENT February 16, 1976
Mike and Gloria's sex life suffers after they have to begin planning their
encounters around the baby's feeding schedule.
131. JOEY'S BAPTISM February 23, 1976
After Mike and Gloria refuse to have their son baptized, Archie stubbornly
steals away to a church to douse the infant himself.
132. MIKE AND GLORIA'S HOUSEGUESTS March 1, 1976
A broken furnace forces Archie and Edith to spend a few nights under the
Stivic's roof during a power blackout.
133. EDITH'S NIGHT OUT March 8, 1976
Edith abandons her stick-in-the-mud husband to liven things up on her own
during an evening out at Kelcy's Bar.
134. ARCHIE'S BRIEF ENCOUNTER (PART 1 -- ONE HOUR) September 22, 1976
Edith leaves Archie when she finds out he dated a flirtatious waitress
while she was volunteering at the Sunshine Home.
135. ARCHIE'S BRIEF ENCOUNTER (PART 2) September 29, 1976
Edith forgives Archie's indiscretion after Mike and Gloria bring the two
together for an emotional reunion.
136. THE UNEMPLOYMENT STORY (PART 1) October 6, 1976
Archie's self-esteem takes a beating when he loses his job on the loading
137. THE UNEMPLOYMENT STORY (PART 2) October 13, 1976
A college grad threatens to commit suicide after he loses a janitor's job
138. ARCHIE'S OPERATION (PART 1) October 20, 1976
Archie's trip to the hospital is an ethnic nightmare: He's admitted by a
Puerto Rican receptionist, treated by a Jewish physician, and is forced to
accept a blood transfusion from a black doctor.
139. ARCHIE'S OPERATION (PART 2) October 27, 1976
Archie recuperates in record time after he's called back to work -- with a
raise and a promotion.
140. BEVERLY RIDES AGAIN November 6, 1976
As a practical joke, Archie fixes up one of his drinking buddies with
female impersonator Beverly LaSalle
141. TERESA MOVES IN November 13, 1976
The Bunkers take in a boarder to help revive their battered budget.
142. MIKE AND GLORIA'S WILL November 20, 1976
The Bunkers are stunned to hear that Mike and Gloria plan to appoint
another couple as Joey's legal guardians in their will.
143. MR. EDITH BUNKER November 27, 1976
Edith saves a man's life and becomes the toast of the town, but Archie
isn't happy standing in the shadow of her limelight.
144. ARCHIE'S SECRET PASSION December 4, 1976
Edith discovers Archie once had a brief encounter with an old high school
friend she's invited to dinner.
145. THE BABY CONTEST December 11, 1976
Archie enters Joey in a newspaper's beautiful-baby contest, against the
express wishes of Mike and Gloria.
146. GLORIA'S FALSE ALARM December 18, 1976
Gloria insists that Mike get the vasectomy he's talked about for years.
147. THE DRAFT DODGER December 25, 1976
Sparks fly when Mike invites a former draft resister to the Bunkers'
Christmas dinner, where the guest of honor is the father of a vet who was
killed in Vietnam.
148. THE BOARDER PATROL January 8, 1977
The Bunkers return home unexpectedly to find Teresa in bed with her
149. ARCHIE'S CHAIR January 15, 1977
Archie's beloved easy chair ends up in an art museum after the repair shop
accidentally sells it to a modern artist.
150. MIKE GOES SKIING January 22, 1977
Mike asserts his independence by leaving Gloria behind while he joins his
friends on a weekend skiing trip.
151. STRETCH CUNNINGHAM, GOOD-BYE January 29, 1977
Archie reluctantly agrees to deliver Stretch Cunningham's eulogy, unaware
that his departed friend was Jewish.
152. THE JOYS OF SEX February 5, 1977
Edith sneaks a peek at a best-selling sex manual and decides her romantic
life could stand a little perking up.
153. MIKE THE PACIFIST February 12, 1977
Mike feels guilty for punching a man on the subway, even though he acted
in defense of Gloria.
154. FIRE February 19, 1977
Archie tries to collect on a fraudulent insurance claim after a small fire
breaks out in the upstairs bathroom.
155. MIKE AND GLORIA SPLIT February 26, 1977
Mike spends a night with Archie after a fight with Gloria.
156. ARCHIE THE LIBERAL March 5, 1977
When his lodge comes under fire for discrimination, Archie tries to knock
off two quotas at once by courting a black Jew for membership.
157. ARCHIE'S DOG DAY AFTERNOON March 12, 1977
Archie accidentally runs over Barney Hefner's dog.
158. ARCHIE GETS THE BUSINESS (ONE HOUR) October 2, 1977
Archie, desparate to realize his personal dream and buy Kelcy's Bar,
forges Edith's signature on the mortgage papers.
159. COUSIN LIZ October 9, 1977
At the funeral of Edith's cousin Liz, the Bunkers are shocked to learn
that she'd been living with a lesbian roommate for years.
160. EDITH'S FIFTIETH BIRTHDAY (ONE HOUR) October 16, 1977
Edith misses her birthday party when a rapist holds her at gunpoint in her
own living room.
161. UNEQUAL PARTNERS October 23, 1977
Edith ruins Archie's weekend fishing trip when she stages a wedding in the
Bunkers' living room.
162. ARCHIE'S GRAND OPENING October 30, 1977
The family steps in to serve drinks and tend bar at Archie's tavern after
his staff deserts him on opening night.
163. ARCHIE'S BITTER PILL (PART 1) November 16, 1977
Archie takes a few pep pills to keep pace with the increased demands of
running his own business and winds up with an amphetamine addiction.
164. ARCHIE'S ROAD BACK (PART 2) November 23, 1977
A despondent Archie retreats to his bedroom, until Harry offers to bail
him out with a partnership offer for the bar.
165. ARCHIE AND THE KU KLUX KLAN (PART 1) November 27, 1977
Archie is nominated for membership in a mysterious fraternal order that
turns out to be the local branch of the KKK.
166. ARCHIE AND THE KU KLUX KLAN (PART 2) December 4, 1977
Archie devises a plan to prevent the Klan from burning a cross on Mike and
167. MIKE AND GLORIA MEET December 11, 1977
A flashback explores Mike and Gloria's first blind date.
168. EDITH'S CRISIS OF FAITH (ONE HOUR) December 25, 1977
Edith's religious faith is shaken after her friend female impersonator
Berverly LaSalle is brutally murdered by street thugs at Christmas.
169. ARCHIE AND THE SUPER BOWL January 5, 1978
Archie's Place is robbed on Super Bowl Sunday, the busiest day of the
170. THE COMMERCIAL January 8, 1978
Edith is chosen to appear in a TV commercial but finds herself unable to
lie when she begins to doubt the quality of the sponsor's detergent.
171. AUNT IOLA'S VISIT January 22, 1978
Archie refuses to let Edith's elderly aunt move into their spare bedroom,
even after she's been turned away by every other relative.
172. LOVE COMES TO THE BUTCHER February 5, 1978
Archie is jealous when a lonely butcher lavishes attention on Edith.
173. TWO'S A CROWD February 12, 1978
Mike and Archie have a long talk after they find themselves locked in the
storeroom of Archie's Place.
174. STALE MATES February 19, 1978
Mike and Gloria are sure the romance has gone out of their marriage when
even a weekend in the Poconos fails to reignite the spark.
175. ARCHIE'S BROTHER February 26, 1978
Archie's estranged brother returns, after twenty-nine years, to smooth
things over before he enters the hospital for a serious operation.
176. MIKE'S NEW JOB March 5, 1978
The Stivics prepare to move to California after Mike is offered a teaching
position in Santa Barbara.
177. THE DINNER GUEST March 12, 1978
Edith is crushed when Mike and Gloria make other plans after she's
prepared a special farewell dinner in their honor.
178. THE STIVICS GO WEST March 19, 1978
The Bunker house is the scene of tearful good-byes as Mike and Gloria
finally leave for California.
179. LITTLE MISS BUNKER September 24, 1978
Edith's cousin Floyd abandons his nine-year-old daughter, Stephanie, on
the Bunkers' doorstep.
180. END IN SIGHT October 1, 1978
Archie spends a night wallowing in self-pity when an insurance physical
reveals an ominous spot on his liver.
181. REUNION ON HAUSER STREET October 8, 1978
The Bunkers attempt to reunite Blanche and Barney Hefner after her latest
fling with an exterminator fizzles.
182. WHAT'LL WE DO WITH STEPHANIE? October 15, 1978
The Bunkers decide to keep Stephanie after her father fails to reclaim her
183. EDITH'S FINAL RESPECTS October 22, 1978
Edith is the sole mourner at her Aunt Rose's funeral.
184. WEEKEND IN THE COUNTRY October 29, 1978
Once again, Archie and Edith try to preserve peace between Barney Hefner
and his extremely wayward wife.
185. ARCHIE'S OTHER WIFE November 5, 1978
At an American Legion convention, Archie awakens facing a beautiful black
airline stewardess who swears they were married the night before.
186. EDITH VERSUS THE BANK November 19, 1978
Edith is disillusioned when her bank refuses to grant a loan without her
187. THE RETURN OF THE WAITRESS November 26, 1978
Edith finally confronts the waitress who tempted Archie's fidelity after
Harry unwittingly hires her to work at Archie's Place.
188. BOGUS BILLS December 3, 1978
Edith is arrested for passing phony ten-dollar bills she got from Archie's
189. THE BUNKERS GO WEST December 10, 1978
After Mike and Gloria cancel their trip home for Christmas, the Bunkers
decide to travel west for the holidays.
190. CALIFORNIA, HERE WE ARE (ONE HOUR) December 17, 1978
The Bunkers arrive in Santa Barbara for Christmas and soon discover that
all is not right with Mike and Gloria.
191. A NIGHT AT THE PTA January 7, 1979
When Edith develops laryngitis on the eve of her singing debut at
Stephanie's PTA recital, Archie steps in to understudy the duet.
192. A GIRL LIKE EDITH January 14, 1979
Edith meets butcher Klemmer's new sweetheart, a woman who just happens to
be her spitting image.
193. THE APPENDECTOMY January 21, 1979
Edith and Archie rush Stephanie to the hospital for an emergency
194. STEPHANIE AND THE CRIME WAVE January 28, 1979
The Bunkers are at odds over Stephanie's punishment when they catch her
stealing petty items from around the house.
195. BARNEY THE GOLD DIGGER February 5, 1979
Barney Hefner is suicidal after Blanche finally deserts him, until Archie
fixes him up with an overweight but wealthy widow.
196. STEPHANIE'S CONVERSION February 18, 1979
Archie is forced to reevaluate his religious prejudice after Stephanie
tries to conceal the fact that she's Jewish.
197. EDITH GETS FIRED February 25, 1979
Edith loses her job at the Sunshine Home after she honors an invalid
woman's final wish to be allowed to die with dignity.
198. THE BEST OF ALL IN THE FAMILY (90 MIN. SPECIAL) March 4, 1979
Norman Lear hosts an affectionate look at the high points of his
ground-breaking TV series.
199. THE RETURN OF ARCHIE'S BROTHER March 11, 1979
Archie's brother, Fred, arrives with his latest wife -- a child bride of
200. THE FAMILY NEXT DOOR March 18, 1979
Archie hits the roof when Edith rents out the old Jefferson house to a
201. THE RETURN OF STEPHANIE'S FATHER March 25, 1979
Stephanie's father, Floyd, finally arrives with a devastating propostion
for the Bunkers: They can keep Stephanie if they agree to pay him one
thousand dollars cash.
202. TOO GOOD EDITH April 8, 1979
Archie is hurt and outraged when Edith tries to hide a serious illness
- excerpted from Classic Sitcoms by Vince Waldron (New York: Macmillan,
|comments powered by Disqus|
Archives Intro | Main Page | Seventies Almanac | The Classic 500 | Search The RockSite/The Web